Nancy's Pistachio Almond Cake w/ Blackberry Filling & Pistachio Cream Cheese Frosting




Yesterday I was talking with Trevor and he made me aware of the fact that Easter was on March 27th this year.  My mouth opened a mile wide as I had no idea it was coming up so soon.  He then proceeded to inform me that I needed to "really get with the program and get to work on an Easter table, especially one for the blog".  He gave a little head shake and eye roll and then walked away.  "Hmm....well", I thought to myself as I repeated the head gesture and eye rolling back at him.  I can do a tablescape (and hopefully will) but it just so turns out that I do happen to have in mind a dessert to post for Easter and I took photos way back last Summer.  So there, Trevor! lol!



I made this cake recipe up last Summer using a cake and pudding mix I had on hand and then took it to my sisters house for a family gathering.  It looked beautiful with the pale green frosting complimenting the fresh, deep purple blackberries and of course the purple transferware platter I served it on, but the true test would be in the taste.   Guess what?  I passed!!!  I was thrilled with how it'd come out and it was a ginormous hit with everyone who tried it!  I may have gotten more compliments on this than anything I've made in a long time.  My daughter Kalyn just walked in as I'm writing this post and saw the photos and asked  me if I'd make this for Easter.  She went on to exclaim that it is her favorite cake! So, yes I  will be making it again for Easter and I think you might want to make it too...you'll love it if you like pistachios!  


Pistachio Almond Cake
by Nancy Roberts 

1- box moist, yellow cake mix
1- box moist, white cake mix
2- 3.4 oz boxes instant pistachio pudding mix
2 tsp. pure almond extract
1/2 cup almond and pistachio pieces chopped
1 cup club soda
6 eggs  
Combine first 7 ingredients in mixing bowl and mix until blended. Bake @350 in 2, greased and floured 9" round cake pans according to package directions (about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean)
Remove from oven, let stand a few minutes and then turn onto racks to cool.  Once cooled used a long serrated bread knife to slice the cake into two thin cake layers.





Filling

3/4 jar Smuckers Blackberry jam (or more or less to taste...I spread a thin layer like I was putting it on toast)  In the center layer of filling, I did also spread a little of the Pistachio cream cheese frosting.  That's really optional but I wanted to have some of the frosting taste throughout.


Pistachio Cream Cheese Frosting

2 sticks butter, softened
1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
1 3.4 oz box instant pistachio pudding
1 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2
16 oz box powdered sugar

Mix butter and cream cheese until thoroughly blended in electric mixer.  Add pudding; mix until well blended.  Add almond extract, 1/2 and 1/2 and blend.   Blend powdered sugar in slowly.
To assemble cake, spread several tablespoons of the blackberry jam across the top of three layers of the cake.  I didn't measure this but you can look at my photos to see about how thick it is.  I wound up using 3/4 a bottle, so about 1/4 a bottle per layer.  Once you've spread the jam place one cake over the other placing the one layer at top that has no jam on it.   Then spread the Pistachio frosting over top and sides.  

Garnish with additional pistachios, almonds and fresh blackberries!




I think these were the biggest blackberries I'd ever seen.  



It really tastes as good as it looks!


bon appétit!

  









Savvy Southern Style



Comments

  1. That cake looks amazing Nancy! Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! Oh, that's a gorgeous looking cake and I'm sure it tastes just as good as it looks! Yummy. Wish I had a slice. Hope you're doing well.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks so good and delicious! I co-host a blog party on Monday's called Cooking and Crafting with J & J at Julie's Lifestyle. I would love to have you come and share this with us. Thanks.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful Nancy! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks delicious and so lovely served on the beautiful purple tranferware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful cake, and it does look so yummy! Pinning this for a future tea party. Thanks so much for sharing, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I just saw blackberries at Aldi's so I can make this. My husbands favorite thing is pistachio anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will feature this tomorrow at HSH! THanks Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a good looking cake! I'll bet it is out of this world delicious! Have a blessed Easter weekend!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  10. This cake looks amazing / made my mouth water ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is soooo beautiful and perfect for spring and now I will have to buy purple transferware! One quick question...does all of the batter fit into just two cake pans or does it require baking two separate batches? Thank you for your inspiration. I cannot wait to make this! :-) Jane ~ San Diego

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I appreciate the time you take to post a comment and I read them all.