Transferware with a 1790 or 1795 Back Stamp

Do any of your transferware pieces have a backstamp with a date marked 1790-95 like these examples below do?








If so, the one thing you can be absolutely sure of is that it was not made in the 1700's.  The earliest it could be dated to is 1870 and could be dated anywhere up to about 1936.  
Some of the Staffordshire potters would use these stamps as a way of giving their wares a sense of history and value.  Dale Pottery works is one such firm that practiced this.  They would use the 1790 date mark on many pieces as it was the date that the pottery was first built by Joseph Stubbs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOUSE / MOVE UPDATE

Since I'm not going to be doing quite as many posts with lots of photos over the next few weeks due to our multiple move (business and home) and other things going on in our lives right now, I will try to post some little informative pieces here and there.  I hope you'll enjoy them, learn something from them and come back for more! ;-)  I'll be back as soon as I can with some tablescapes, and pics of the progression of the new house. 
Kalyn, Ashton and I are going over tonight to begin painting their room.  Someone had hung posters up with nails and Shawn pulled about 100+ out of the walls today.  We're going to have to do some patch work first.  I wish I could tell you all how dirty this place was but I don't think you can say those things online. ;-) I had a well known, professional cleaning coming out for a bid and they declined the job!  The landlord apparently found someone, I think perhaps a janitorial service, to come out and clean the entire house tomorrow. 

Thank you everyone for the wonderful comments and emails on my previous post.  I am overwhelmed by how thoughtful, generous and caring you all are.  

Don't forget the $50 giveaway to my English Transferware store over at Savvy Southern Style.


Comments

  1. Thanks for the information. Knowledge is power.
    Good luck with the moves. I know it is quite a job trying to juggle family, business and moving. Be sure to get enough rest.
    Can't wait to see the pics of what is going on.
    Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are like me, you just handle whatever comes your way. I am proud of you girl, you have what it takes! Lucky kids and hubs to have you at the helm. And try to remember even when you are in the filth, here are things worse than dirt!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nancy! Thanks for the info on the stamp. I am going to check all of my pieces when I finish this comment. I can so relate to nasty tenants. Ours just moved out of our beach rental after living there one year. We had over $3000 in expenses for hauling off all their junk and cleaning the filth. They also stole misc accesories, blender, toaster and glasses. The funny thing is he is a doctor and head of cardiology at the local hospital. The wife is a international consultant. We verified their income prior to the lease and together they made over $30,000 Per Month! Goes to show you money does not buy you class.Best of luck in your new home.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy,

    Can't believe you got my order out so quickly with all that you have going on! Thank you so much and I wish you all the best in your new venture.

    I will let you know when I finish the table. I need some more green!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy -- I do appreciate all that I have learned about transferware from you! I had never really thought much about it but now I WANT some! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  6. This too shall pass :) Hope everything goes very well with getting everything ready!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the info you provide!!! Still thinking of you and hoping it goes well for all of you.....hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the informative post. I am just learning about transferware so I can really use the tutorials.

    Good luck with the moving! La

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's great that you are teaching us all about transferware..I know very little and only have a few pieces..but I certainly enjoy their beauty and will be on the lookout for those stamps!! Take care and don't work too hard!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy, I will be announcing the winner tonight probably around 8:30 or 9.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's difficult to believe that people can be so filthy. And why did they bother to paint...it's a lousy job. You sure do have hard work ahead to clean and fix your new home up. But it does appear that your new home has "good bones"...that large living room/dining room is quite stunning. I bet it will be lovely once you have put your touch to it. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I appreciate the time you take to post a comment and I read them all.