Bacon 'n' Blue Cheese Red Potato Salad and Doggie Update




I hope that all you had a wonderful Easter with family and friends.
My sister hosted Easter at her home this year and she surprised me by letting me know that we'd be having a traditional ham dinner and not the usual cookout where we grill steaks or hot dogs and hamburgers.  I was planning to take this potato salad that I had made a few weeks ago but since I didn't get to do that I decided to share it with you here.  Anymore I take pictures of most dishes that we make (when I know it's worth sharing the recipe to) so that I've got them ready to blog.  Now, when Lauri (not Lori) see's this post she'll be asking me to make it for our next family cook out.
I do have to say that our traditional Easter dinner was scrumptious.  My brother in law served the best ham and my brother David (a fabulous cook) made the cutest deviled eggs I've ever seen.  I haven't even seen them in blogland so I'm hoping to snatch his idea and share it next year.






This potato salad is different than what I think of as traditional potato salad, which is my Moms recipe which happens also, in my opinion,  to be the BEST potato salad on the planet.  However, if you like mixing it up sometimes and having a side dish that's out of the ordinary, maybe even unexpected, then  this potato salad will be one you'll want to try.   Plus, the fact that it's darn good is reason enough to make it.  At my house it was a hit with everyone so I'll be making it again soon...maybe this weekend.

   Shawn just realized I was posting this recipe and says his mouth is literally watering for some of this potato salad.


Bacon 'n' Blue Cheese Potato Salad 
(tweaked by me from an old Bon Apetit' recipe)

2/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey 
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 lbs red potates, cut into quarters or halved if they are the very small ones
10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
3/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (about 3 1/2 ounces)
2 hard boiled eggs
Salt and Pepper to taste

Whisk oil, vinegar, red onion, parsley, 1 tablespoon chives, mustard, honey and lemon peel in large bowl until well blended.  Season with salt and pepper to your liking.


Cook potatoes in a large pot of boiling, salted water until just tender, about 8-10 minutes.  Drain, rinse with cool water and then combine with the dressing mixture, tossing to combine.  Taste...add more salt and pepper if you think it needs it.  You can do this a day in advance and store in the refrigerator if you want to.  I think the flavors meld better this way.


Just before serving, toss with the chopped, hard boiled eggs, the remaining chives and chopped bacon. It's ready to serve!

And it is so tasty!
And of course it looks good served in little purple transferware bowls, available in my Etsy shop!



I'd love to hear from you if you all make this whether or not you  tweaked it to your own tastes.  

Doggie update:
Thank you everyone for all of the comments and emails on yesterdays post.  Kalyn found a home for the lady in heat dog last night shortly after I'd published my post.   I felt a little bad splitting them up.  I felt more relief though.  We have given Graham to the kids Aunt because we can't keep a dog, but they'll get to visit him when we go out to visit.  As of today Graham hasn't seemed to notice that the other one is gone and he is doing fine.
Here is Ashton with Graham being her normal unusual self who enjoys taking her own photos in glasses that aren't hers.  

She shared this quote with me, and I love it.  Hope you all do to.

Why fit in when I was born to stand out?








Stone Gable
Foodie Friday
Common Ground
Funky Junk Interiors
Thrifty Decorating
Flamingo Toes

Comments

  1. That potato salad looks delicious, Nancy! I have to remember to print out the recipe and see if I can't try it. I love all the ingredients, so I'm sure I'll love them all mixed together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am copying that potato salad recipe....you had me at bleu cheese crumbles! It sounds wonderful and I LOVE the quote at the end. Thanks. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had blue cheese coleslaw but never blue cheese potato salad -- sounds good and I may try it the next time we have a cookout.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That potato salad sounds delicious...except the eggs. For some reason in the last 2-3 years I don't like or put eggs in my potato salads...weird because I grew up eating it that way! Cute photo of Ashton and Graham!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks wonderful, Going to write it up now...and going to try it really soon...all my favorite things...thank you for sharing it....have a great day...with love Janice @ mz witherspoons....spoonwither.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, tell your daughter I love her quote. Kudos to her!!! I like an individualist who thinks for herself. Cute photo too.
    Thanks for the recipe. I'm passing it along to my chef. ;-)
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Ashton, I'm with you kid!!!
    Can't wait to try this new recipe...red potatoes, blue cheese, bacon....what's not to like??? hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Nancy that potato dish looks so amazingly good and I am so hungry I could eat it right off the computer screen. I am definitely going to make this one. And of course it looks beautiful in your transferware. Those dishes always makes everything look extra special though:)

    Nann

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe looks so good! I will definitely try it (I have bookmarked this page). The salad looks perfect in your purple transfer ware!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for that recipe, Nancy! I plan on trying it this summer. I'm glad things worked out for the dogs. (And for you!) And I agree with your daughter: being yourself is a tough act to follow! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, how delish this recipe looks! I'm making them next dinner party to acompany some main meat dish...GREAT!! Yeah, I'd love the dishes, hubby says that they will charge me so much money, like at least $500 in customs to receive them, as they have awful taxes cause Ecuador makes dishes...not like this, but I guess is to help the national production. He says when someone in my family comes to visit, I can have them bring the dishes on the plane with her or him, so they will just to pay over weight, that's it. Thank you lovely Nancy for your visit and of course I will let you know. Enjoy a nice weekend and so glad Trevor likes pot pie like my hubs.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE that last pic, too cute! That potato salad is making me drool LOL!! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a good nontraditional potato salad. Pinned this and definitely hope to try it soon! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nancy,
    Your Potato Salad looks awesome! Thanks for sharing and have a great week.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scrumptious! I love all the updated and upscale ingredients! Thanks for bringing this wonderful recipe to ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the interesting combination of flavors in this salad. Please share it on my foodie friday linky. Is this good cold? I will pin it too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I appreciate the time you take to post a comment and I read them all.